This large Victorian structure was originally built as a private residence in 1876, later became a girl’s school known as the Pleasant Valley Institute and was used as a hotel with several different names such as Fitzpatrick’s, Pleasant Valley Hotel, Cady’s and others.
At the time the picture for this post card was taken, somewhere between 1910 and 1915, it was known as the Swastica Inn. This particular name always raises eyebrows at this time, however, it should be noted that the infamous German Nationalist Socialist Party, known as the “Nazis” did not come about until the 1930’s. It must therefore be concluded that the owners of the Swastika Inn based this name on the ancient runic symbol of the sun.
The building was removed to make way for what was then known as the Grand Union Plaza. One of the conditions for site plan approval on April 20, 1971 was that “It is understood that the Pleasant Valley Hotel will be removed by June of 1972”.
Information provided by Dieter Friedrichsen