This building was originally known as Pleasant Valley Hall and Lovelace Hall. It was used for functions such as dances and minstrel shows. In 1913, the assessor’s records show that it was owned by the Pleasant Valley Hall Company and was assessed at $500.
The Pleasant Valley Volunteer Fire Company, formed in 1903 from the John Knott Fire Company, leased this building on June 1, 1913 for monthly fire meetings. Included was the use of a small building in the rear for fire equipment and necessary repairs. It then became known as Firemen’s Hall and was used as such until 1922, when a new two-story concrete block building was erected just west of it. The Ladies Auxiliary to the Volunteer Fire Company, established on January 27, 1938, held their meetings in this building until March, 1957.
On April 20, 1935 postmaster Ethel Cole located the Pleasant Valley Post Office “five hundred feet south of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad”, into this building, where the post office remained until 1951.
Today, Bob and Terri Ghee’s Village Gallery and Frame Shoppe and a clothing store are located in this building.
Information provided by Dieter Friedrichsen