In 1876, Pleasant Valley’s first newspaper, the Pleasant Valley Bulletin, reported that the old armory was moved from its former location above the covered bridge to a new site on the north side of lower Main Street, known as McLaury’s General Store. Later on, when this building became Pultz’s General Store, it also served as the Pleasant Valley Post Office with John E. Laird as the Post Master, who was appointed on February 12, 1915.
In 1913, the tax records show George E. Pultz as the owner of “House and Store, north side Main Street, west by Millie Schneider, east by Depot Road, assessed at $1100”.
Mrs. Ethel Cole, appointed June 26, 1935 and the only Pleasant Valley Post Mistress, first served when the Post Office was located in this building.
It was known as Dunken Pultz’s Drug Store until 1946, at which time the new owners named it the Pleasant Valley Department Store.
Information provided by Dieter Friedrichsen