A road was laid out in 1750 running south from Hyde Park Village to Washington Hollow. A settlement formed where the road crossed the Little Wappingers Creek. By about 1765 John Gazley was operating a saw mill and a grist mill. This was an agricultural community and was called Salt Point right from its beginnings.
In the 1840s small lots began selling and houses and stores were built and this brought about a village.
The Westminster Presbyterian Church was built in 1861. The land was donated from the Charles Brown farm (now Hasbrouck) and the church cost $3,408.
The Netherwood Baptist Church was built around 1790 on a half acre of land given by John Van Voorhiss.
The general store and post office were first operated in 1849 by Dr. Gilbert Pearsall and later became known as DeLaVergne’s General Store.
The first town meeting was held in 1824 in the little red salt box house on the main street. The house is owned by Gilbert Pearson.
The first postmaster in Salt Point was Anthony Badgely appointed in 1828. In looking over the list of postmasters following him it is noted that they seem to be owners of the general stores as well.
Of the five schools in the area, the one that remains much as it was is on the designated recreation park of the hamlet.
The local fire company started out in the abandoned station of the P&E Railroad. The present building is on that same site.
Of the three hamlets, this one has remained the most unchanged for the last 100 years.