The Pleasant Valley Library originally opened in 1903 and was located where today the HSBC bank is. It was operated under State Charter and governed by 5 trustees. It burned in 1913 and was moved the corner of Rt. 44 and South Avenue as shown in this picture.
It was a one-story building with storage in the basement and 2 ground floor rooms, the larger one of which served as the reading room. There was no running water and no rest rooms. The Dutchess County Historical Society was organized in this building on May 26, 1914.
The Pleasant Valley Library, which celebrates its 100th anniversary on August 27, 2003, was moved in 1974 to the original Parsonage of the First Presbyterian Church on Main Street.
Information provided by Dieter Friedrichsen